Laugh

Laugh
Click any letter for a look at my prize-winning essay from the Erma Bombeck Writing Competition. You don't even have to buy a vowel.

Friday, December 30, 2011

An Open Letter to My FaceBook Friend-To-Be

Dear Friendless,

I see by my little pop up timer that you want to be my friend. That’s thoughtful of you and I’m sure you have a great personality; a people person that draws other folks to you like barbecue draws rednecks. But upon searching my memory banks, my old address books, and the pictures from my high school yearbook, I find I have no clue to your identity. I’m afraid to check the mug shots on the county jail website.

I asked my children if they had teachers that might be motivated to make my acquaintance on the sly. I wondered if my coworkers had friends with motives for revenge. Aside from folks touched by that episode with the chocolate diaper in the microwave, I can’t think of any work-related citizens who might bear ill will toward me.

I’d like to think you’re a fan, too shy to say anything out loud, but wanting to duplicate my every move so that you can be more like me every day.

Sort of like a stalker with poor life choices.

Sort of like the shy girl who sits in the corner by the cheese dip waiting for the chance to say “No problem” when someone drops a jalapeño in her shoe.

Sort of like the fellow that knew how to work the slide rule in math class back before everybody had calculators that could figure the change in your body fat ratio before you ate the chocolate chip cookie.

I married that guy.

I was going to ignore your friend request. I was going to go gleefully on my way accepting gifts for my virtual megafarm. I was going to go toss a pie at one of my less needy friends.

But then I looked closer. That’s not a stalker. It’s not even a fan. It’s a picture of me at a recent Christmas party.

I’m sitting by the cheese dip.

And eating out of the bowl.

And picking a jalapeno out of my shoe.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hahahaha. OMG, awesome! :D

I got a friend request from a guy I knew in fourth grade. I'm like, "Dude, you're not my friend. You pulled my hair when we were in elementary school!"

Unknown said...

Did someone say 'barbecue'? *fishes jalapeno out of shoe*

Amy Mullis said...

I know, right?! And I'm afraid if I check those mug shots they'll all have link to my blog!

Amy Mullis said...

Beth! I knew you'd keep me company in the corner! *drops another jalapeno in Beth's shoe*

colbymarshall said...

Hahahaha. Love it, Amy! I also love the description "pop up timer"- so accurate!

Deb Claxton said...

I was going to leave a comment but all this talk about cheese dip and jalapenos is making me hungry.